Should I avoid carbs?

I’ve heard avoiding carbs can help with weight loss. Is changing my diet to avoid carbs a good way to lose weight?

Low carb diets are a very popular trend that often leave people confused and misinformed about carbs. Cutting out carbs does cause weight loss, however avoiding carbs is not the answer. I’m sure some of you that have tried a low carb diet might have felt “the blues”. Low carb diets may cause people to have low energy and may affect people’s moods such as irritability.

However, I’m here to tell you that carbs are our friends! In fact, carbohydrates are our bodies preferred source of energy!

Carbs are broken down into glucose before being absorbed into the blood stream for energy. All our cells and tissues use glucose for functioning (kidneys, brain, heart, muscle etc).

Also, complex carbohydrates are nutrient dense and contain fiber, vitamins, and minerals (calcium, vitamin C, folic acid, potassium, and magnesium).

Carbohydrates include: Whole grains (bread, pasta, quinoa, rice), Starchy vegetables (potatoes, corn, squash), Pulses (lentils, beans, chickpeas), Low fat milk, and fruit.

On the other hand, not all carbs are created equal, carbohydrates that are “simple sugars” should be limited. These include: soda, juices, cookies, candies, chips, high fructose corn syrup, processed foods, etc.

Carbohydrate requirements will vary from person to person.